Sunday, December 16, 2007

Love Letter From Peter to Wendy

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

Wow, it has been 40 amazing years! What have you learned from it all? What have you become through it all? I congratulate you on your success! As I’ve thought (long and hard) about what memory I could share, a sweet letter that I have treasured came to mind. I thought it appropriate to share on this occasion. This is a letter that Dad wrote to his Wendy and “little Wendy” later to be known as “Daddy’s BBQ”. This letter was written on July 1, 1970. This was just a few days after the birth of their first baby. This was the beginning of their little family. Little did they know then it was just the beginning of a great big family.


Dad was in Viet Nam at the time. How very hard this must have been for both mom and Dad. How proud I feel that my father made this great sacrifice. As I’ve watched the news these days I have seen many military men and women serving their country far away from families and loved ones. I have a special place in my heart for the great sacrifice that these heroes are making. These military heroes must feel much like my mother and father did many years ago.

Here is the sweet, tender love filled letter written almost 40 years ago. It is beautiful to read of the love Dad has for his beautiful bride and mother of his new baby girl.





Wednesday 2:00 am
1 July 1970

Little Wendy,

Even though it’s morning now, it seems like part of last night, and last night was one of the happiest of all the nights I’ve had because I found out about our little Elizabeth. Major Molder called about 9:30 pm and announced the good news. I was momentarily shocked because I was expecting a little boy, but really lover I’m thrilled with our little girl. I’m still trying to get use to the idea that I’m a real father. It’s so strange a feeling because all of a sudden I realize that I’ve got a tremendous responsibility in taking care of a pure, innocent little soul and spirit that comes straight from our Heavenly Father. All of a sudden I wish I had so much more experience and training for this special mission. You are really going to have to help me in raising a girl and tell me how they think and feel about their Daddy’s.
Karen I’m so proud of you and thankful for what you’ve done for our home. (I mean our new family.) I hope you feel good again soon and will really be able to enjoy little Elizabeth. …….I’m a little out of my mind with happiness, tiredness, and wonder at how you are……….
You are the most perfect woman in the whole world and I’m so glad I have you always. Give Betsy a kiss from her Daddy and know that I’m saving your kisses and hugs for our Hawaiian Honeymoon.
I love you Jeff



How blessed I am to have two loving and giving parents! You have both been amazing examples to me of sacrifice and service. You are my heroes!

I Love You Both
Betsy (Little Wendy, BBQ)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Thank you SO much for sharing it Betsy!

Ryan said...

That letter is amazing. I have never heard anything about it. Thanks Bets for posting that one.

bloggingchristy said...

That letter is so cute! Thanks for posting it Betsy! It's interesting to see how your parents felt when they had there first child and how everyone feels overwhelmed about being a parent.