Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Trip Down Meridith's Memory Lane


Well, I was thinking today about some funny memories. The first one was the way Dad thrived on scaring people. One time, Dad and I were coming home from somewhere together and for some reason I took a few minutes longer to come into the house. I get into the house and all the lights were turned off. I know what you must thinking, big surprise! Well, I walk upstairs and peer into Dad's bedroom and his lights were all turned off in there as well. So, I call out, "Dad." No answer. I go throughout the entire house calling out for him and decide to go back into his bedroom. I look into his walk-in closet where out jumps Dad and scares me half to death. I shrieked louder than I think I've ever yelled before and I might have swung at him also, but I can't exactly remember.
This reminds me of falling asleep at night, hearing the "Unsolved Mystery's" theme music soothing me to sleep while Mom was at some meeting. I think that's where Dad learned all his tricks. I hate getting scared, but love to scare others. I wonder if that's also true for Dad?
One of my more enjoyable memories was this one time when I got really upset and was probably crying outside in front of the house. Well, Dad drove up beside me in his car, because that's where he spent most of his quiet time, and asked me if I wanted to go somewhere. So, I decided I'd rather get away from the house and he took me the best place I could have imagined. Thrifty's Ice Cream. Dad got me our favorite ice cream. Strawberry and Cookie's and Cream. There's nothing that will make me feel better than a double-scooped ice cream cone. Ahhh! Those were the days.
Since we're on the subject of food, I also loved the days when I used to clean the dental office, after we had moved to Tracy. When my work was done, he would take me to this yummy little Mexican Hole-in-the-Wall and we'd both get these giant burritos.
I miss those scrumptious burritos we used to eat Dad.
Dad would always get his with pinto beans. He never wanted black beans, and so I would do the same. I figured he knew best.
Okay, one last story I just thought of on the food subject. I remember this one time Dad took Brooke out to eat and I'm pretty sure he asked her if she wanted to go to Weinershnitzel's. Brooke said that sounded good. She ordered a hot dog and then she only ate the cheapest part of the hot dog which is of course, the bun! I just remember Dad coming home so flabbergasted and telling us the funny story about Brooke.
On a different subject now, I can remember Dad asking me what my husband was going to be like? He then went on to ask if my husband was going to be just like him? I don't really remember my response to that question, but after being married for almost 4 years to Bart, I've found some similarities between the two of you. Bart and Dad both like things that are clean and organized, both enjoy good food, like to talk and are sociable, and love compliments. So, there you have it Dad; I guess I really did marry someone like you.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

What about how Bart likes to sleep in silky pajamas and won't walk around anywhere w/o his slippers on. It is all starting to click now Bart.

G and G Nut said...

Meridith,
Your memory is as good as Ryan's. Did anyone else notice while we were home eating peanut butter and jam where Dad and Mer were. I'm a little jealous!

Meridith said...

Oops!! Sorry, Dad, was I supposed to keep our little burrito dates a secret? I thought now that we're all out of the house it would be safe to tell the story and no one would be upset.

Oh, and you're right Ryan, about Bart always wearing his silky pajamas. It's so embarrassing. Sheesh!