
My mom, who was formerly Karen Erie, was raised in Spokane, Washington. Her dad was a dairy owner, and her mom was the nurturer of the home. She attended college at the University of Washington and became a school teacher after graduating. Most recently, she taught sixth and seventh graders at a middle school in California, but she is currently retired and loving life. My mom is a good lady. She is somewhat of a perfectionist, and will always give her best effort to whatever she is asked to do. Along with her characteristics of perfectionism, she is also a worrier. Anything that could possibly worry you, she has already worried about, so don’t stress over it. Additionally, something else interesting to know about my mom is that she is extremely gullible. For over 40 years now she has heard outrageous stories from her husband and two boys, in particular, and for some reason she still believes these boys to this very day. She always strove to teach her children basic values and ethics. I think she played a big role in her children’s lives teaching them the importance of education. She accomplished this by constantly correcting our grammar, and consistently keeping us on task with our school work. Finally, I would say that my mom is a people pleaser. She doesn’t want people to feel uncomfortable in situations and will do anything she can to help.
My dad (Jeff Romney) is also a Spokane, Washington native. He and my mom are actually high school sweethearts. His father was an MBA graduate of Harvard University and his mother was, as well, the nurturer in the home. My dad also attended the University of Washington, and served in the military. When you come to know my dad, you’ll find out quickly that he is a big tease. I am almost positive that this is where my sarcasm originated. Another characteristic of my dad is that he is a talker, and he is a big talker at that. I have been shocked at times at the things that people will actually tell my dad. He has a real talent for getting people to open up and divulge their entire life stories. Like my mom, my dad was also influential in my life. For the most part, my dad influenced me in the ways of the gospel. Because of my dad, I will always wear a white shirt and tie to church, and I will always value home teaching. I think a large portion of my dad’s influence in the area of home teaching can be attributed to him designating me as his companion even before I held the priesthood. I can’t tell you how many houses we would sit in for hours on end and chat with old, single widows of the ward. Now, years later, I can look back on those experiences with my dad and laugh to myself.
by Grant
1 comment:
okay ... due to Grant jogging my memory I am giving an "I owe you" for a post dedicated entirely to the topic of Hometeaching with Dad. That will be a long one.
Post a Comment