Friday, January 25, 2008

What I Tell Them at School About the Rest of You



I GREW UP IN A FAMILY OF 7 CHILDREN.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW EACH OF THEM.
By Grant Romney


Yes, it’s true; I did grow up with six other siblings. When most people hear this their mouths drop open, and their eyelids almost touch the ceiling. Even though these people think this sounds absurd, I feel blessed to have grown up with such great siblings. I suppose I will start with the oldest and tell you about each of them.

Betsy is my oldest sibling. Her real name is Elizabeth, but if you’re a Romney, it’s just Betsy. Betsy is a very strong-willed person. I think this comes with the territory of being the oldest. She enjoys being in charge and she always has a million things on her to-do list. Earlier in her life she served a mission in Seoul, Korea. After her mission she worked hard at school and received a degree from Brigham Young University in psychology. She never got too far from Provo since college, and now lives in Spanish Fork, Utah. She is married to Aaron Scott and has 5 kids (Dawson, McKennah, Cecily, Garrett, and Blake).

Next up is Heather. Heather is the child of balance in our family. What I mean by this is that the Romney kids have very distinct, dominating personalities, and Heather has a good balance of intelligence, fun, and spirituality. Many times the strong personalities that are so prevalent in my family can erupt a lot of emotion, but Heather usually isn’t the catalyst of all this emotion. By no means would I have you think that Heather is weak; rather, she has developed great communication skills in her life. Heather also received a degree from California State University Hayward in sociology. Heather is married to Kevin Daines and lives in Liberty Lake, Washington, with her seven children (Adrienne, Austin, Landon, Mallory, Elise, Miles, and Courtney).

Ryan is the first Romney boy. Ryan is easily the most creative, clever Romney on the list. We often lovingly refer to Ryan as the golden child. This is because throughout our childhood, the rest of the kids kept my parents occupied enough that anything remotely out of line that Ryan did could usually be overshadowed by another sibling’s actions. Even if my parents deny it, it is well known that Ryan was their pride and joy. When Ryan turned nineteen he served a mission in the Latvia, Riga, mission. Ryan married Jessica Sherrill and now has four kids (Emma, Gabe, Jane, and Seth). He just received his Masters from the University of Utah in electrical engineering and resides in Liberty Lake, Washington.

Following Ryan is Brooke. Brooke is a whole different Romney. Although she contains the will and drive of the other Romneys, Brooke is much more reserved then your typical Romney. Growing up, Brooke was an example of spiritual preparation to the rest of the family. As a result of Brooke’s reserved nature, I’m sure Brooke is often misperceived; but when you get to know Brooke, you will come to understand how much she really has to offer. Along with all of this, Brooke’s love for God is truly impressive. Brooke married Spencer Johnson, and since then, has had three children (Braxton, Carter, and Abby). Brooke, Spencer, and the kids now live in South Jordan, Utah.

Greg is the next Romney boy. If you meet Greg, he will have you fooled within thirty seconds. Those who meet Greg might initially wonder how he got into the Romney family, but the funny thing about it is that is exactly what he wants you to think. Greg is a strong presence within our family and we could not do without him. I’m sure people wonder how a guy who only wears old basketball shorts and stained t-shirts could run a profitable company. All I have to say is image isn’t everything. Greg will out think you any day of the week. Greg is also fearless. Most decisions that you would think twice about, Greg will do in a heartbeat. This is why he is successful, because he is willing to take risks. Lastly, Greg is literally the most charitable person I know. Once again he will try to fool you in this, but Greg is the type of person that will give the shirt off his back if it would help someone out. The best part about it is that no one really knows all that Greg gives because he isn’t the kind of person that lets everyone know about it. Greg served a mission in Hamburg, Germany. After his mission he married Christy Hill and now has two kids (Scott and Stacey) with one more on the way. While running his business in Texas, Greg earned a degree in economics from University of North Texas.

My last sibling is Meridith. When I think of Meridith the word that continues to come into my mind is valiant. Meridith is valiant about life. She is valiant for God, family, and whatever comes across her path. If you’re looking for someone who is up to the test, you want Meridith on your team. Even if she can’t do it she’ll give everything she has until she can’t do anymore. Meridith married Bart Matthews and has since had two children (Page and Pheonix).

When I think about my family I can’t believe what an opportunity I’ve been given to know and associate with such incredible people. Being the youngest in my family, I’ve been able to do a lot of observing in my life and learn from each one of my siblings and their strengths.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I like how in that picture everyone is revolving around me. Maybe I really am the favorite ... oh wait, that's Heather. She always got to lick the bowl, whenever the rest of us tried we just got smacked. ouch.

Anonymous said...

Wow, did I really make it into the family picture this time!? I must be livin right.

Meridith said...

Thanks Grant. You are such an amazing brother and example to the rest of us as well. I enjoyed reading all the descriptions of each of us. I enjoy hearing your point of view.