Sunday, February 3, 2008

What It Means to Have Lived During the Leadership of Gordon B. Hinckley



From Elizabeth Scott



You were generals in the war in heaven and one day when you are in the spirit world, you will be enthralled by those you are associated with. You will ask someone in which time period they lived and you might hear, “I was with Moses when he parted the Red Sea,” or “I helped build the pyramids,” or “I fought with Captain Moroni.” And as you are standing there in amazement, someone will turn to you and ask you which of the prophets’ time did you live in? And when you say “Gordon B. Hinckley” a hush will fall over every hall and corridor in Heaven, and all in attendance will bow at your presence. You were held back six thousand years because you were the most talented, most obedient, most courageous, and most righteous.

Elder Boyd K. Packer



Today in Relief Society my RS president read this to us. We had such a wonderful testimony meeting! Together we discussed what a wonderful prophet President Hinckley was. What an amazing example of forgetting oneself and going to work! He was called to be prophet at age 85!!! Tireless was he!!!! A living example of optimism! We live in a day of so much confusion and turmoil surrounding us, God must have known we would need a prophet with an optimistic (even humorous) spirit like Gordon B. Hinckley!

One of the things that I remember most about President Hinckley was the conference he asked us to write this scripture down and post it somewhere. 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” I did post that scripture in my house and looked at it often. It has been a source of comfort and strength to me.
One of my favorite moments from President Hinckley’s funeral was when his daughter spoke and described her father as adorable. What a sweet relationship he had with his daughters. I loved how he said that he favored his daughters in his old age. He sweetly described his daughters as clever and kind. He and his wife shared a funny, beautiful and loving relationship also!!! He was such a loving father and husband. I want to create those types of relationships in my family!!!!! He was so inspired to have stressed the importance of the family!!!! I love the family proclamation!!! It has impacted my life and family in many ways! He was so inspired to give this proclamation to the world at a time when families are being targeted so viciously by Satan!
I love President Hinckley and know he was the Lord’s prophet. I look forward to the day when we (all of us who lived during his leadership) will meet again!!! I know he would say be grateful, smart, clean, true, humble and prayerful until that day. We all stand a little taller because of him.
In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Bad news ... we got a memo from the 1st presidency saying that the quote on this blog is actually made up and has been attributed to various apostles at different times. Sorry - but just setting the record straight. I still love President Hinkley even if that quote isn't exactly authentic.

elizabeth scott said...

We got that same memo. Our RS President apologized the next week at church for sharing it. I asked mom to take it off the blog but I guess she hasn't been able to. I still think we live in an exciting time. I'm glad I was able to be part of President Hinckley's era. What a great prophet.