
The words are borrowed, but the sentiments are mine for sure.
Old Age, I decided, is a gift...... I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body , the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who look s like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long. I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging. Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love . I will. I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves wit h abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set . They, too, will get old. I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things. Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect. I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver. As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong. So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)
7 comments:
Wow.
Happy Birthday to you.
I want to be as wise and as cute as you, when I'm 65 (? Is that right?)
You are too cute for words! You make 65 look great! I hope I am as hip and fun as you are when I hit 65! Grandma Nut everyone is Nuts about you! Like the pillow on your bed says,"... The best is yet to be!" You are truely amazing! Happy Birthday Girlfriend!
I WILL look just like you when I am 65 ... so I need you to find me a blond wig just like your hair, and make sure your clothes get willed to me so that I can really freak out the siblings when I want to.
You're a great senior citizen.
love, Brooke
Mom, I like what the pillow on your bed says way better than the one on my bed, which always seems to taunt me with the words, "not tonight." You know it's funny, but just as you said you like yourself more and more the older you get, I feel the same way about you. Not that i didn't love you growing up, but I seemed too often preoccupied with efforts of stressing you out to really fully appreciate what a great person you are. And the older I get, the more I envy your wisdom, and ability to love and serve others. You are an awesome mom, always ready to help when there is a child crisis, and not overparenting when your 29 year old little boy thinks he has life all figured out and needs more than anything to fall on his face. I feel blessed that my kids love you so much and enjoy your relationship with them. We had a great time with you here, and look forward to the next time. Happy belated birthday. Did I mention I also envy your ability to remember every one's birthday and punctually call and congratulate them. But, as my wise mom once told me, "better late than never." Love you mom. You truly are the best.
Love,
Greg
Happy Birthday and I loved this blog!!! It makes me excited to be old!! Especially for the dessert thing everyday!! Except I would actually have a dessert not just one M&M or like 5 chocolate chips!
I do admire and love you also and REALLY appreciate the WONDERFUL grandma you are to our kids, you are such a blessing in our lives.
Christy
Mom, I enjoyed reading all your wisdom and thoughts about how to live life to its fullest for when I get older someday. Thanks for all you do and teach me about how to live a wonderful, fulfilling life. I am so grateful for the amazing person you are!
Post a Comment